As a native to Pennsylvania, the Dutch foods I grew up with have followed me to Colorado. And this is definitely one of our absolute favorite recipes. I usually make 2 batches of this classic “Breakfast Baked Oatmeal” – freeze one, and bake one!
This Make Ahead Breakfast Baked Oatmeal freezes wonderfully, or you can allow it to sit overnight in your fridge, or you can go ahead and make it right away! This recipe is naturally vegan too!
What Equipment Need To Make This Baked Oatmeal:
- 9 x 13 Casserole Dish (can be glass, ceramic, or aluminum)
- Plastic Wrap (if freezing)
- Aluminum Foil
- Whisk and Spoon
- 2 Mixing Bowls (these are my favorite)
Ingredients for Breakfast Baked Oatmeal
- 4-5 bananas (depending how thin you cut them)
- 3-4 Cups Fruit (can be mixed, frozen, or fresh) (blueberries are our favorite!)
- 4 cups Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup or Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs (or 2 Tbsp Chia seeds + 4 Tbsp water as an egg replacement)
- 4 Cups Milk (we love this Vanilla Almond Milk)
- 6 Tbsp Butter (we love Earth Balance vegan butter sticks)
- 2-3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven (if serving today) to 350º. Spray your casserole dish with cooking oil spray.
- Mix Oatmeal, Sweetener, Baking Powder and Cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt Butter and set aside.
- Mix Eggs (or replacement), 4 Cups Milk, Vanilla and HALF the butter in a bowl and set aside.
- Chop Bananas in the round, about 1/4″ in depth – and layer to cover your casserole dish.
- Next, layer 2 cups of fruit.
- Then, spread Oatmeal mixture evenly over your fruit.
- Next, drizzle milk mixture over your oatmeal, making sure it soaks up (you may use a knife to create small holes for the milk to soak down into your oats if needed)
- If you prefer to add walnuts, now is the prefect time. I recommend chopped and toasted!! MMMmmmm delicious!
- Finally, top with 2 cups of berries.
- Drizzle the last of you butter over the top.
Place plastic wrap over your baked oatmeal to prevent freezer burn. The top with Aluminum Foil.
You will want to thaw your oatmeal overnight in the fridge before cooking.
Bake at 375ºF for 40-60 minutes. For a wonderfully moist baked oatmeal, leave your aluminum foil on for the first 35 minutes!
Well there you have it! A lot of great tips for helping you find healthy options for mornings or a crowd pleaser for your next social morning! I hope you truly enjoy these tips and this recipe!
If you like the ease of having delicious food on the go, check out my article on Meal Replacement Shakes!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.